- Also called TseTse flies
- Some classify it in family muscidae and some in Glossinidae family.
- It is found in Africa on more than 10 million kilometer area.
- It is important vector of many Human & Animal diseases.
- Adult flies are long, narrow and yellow to dark brown in color.
- Size is 6-15mm and mouth is projecting forward.
- Wings held over the abdomen like a pair of close scissors when at rest.
- Mouth parts are composed of U-shaped Labium with rasp labella which lie at the terminal region of Labium and upper sharp labrum.
- B/W Labium and Labrum, Hypopharynx is present which carries salivary duct and delivers anticoagulant to Host tissue.
- In the center of the wings, there lies hatchet or cleaver.
- Female is viviparous and produce 8-12 larvae in its life time.
- Maturation of larva takes place in 10 days.
- Size of larva is 8-10mm.
- Color of larva is creamy white and segmented body and ear shaped Protuberance which is used for respiration.
- From the larva, pupa develops. Pupa stage is 4-5 weeks. Pupa is barrel shaped and Dark brown in color.
- From the pupa, adult emerges. Adult requires several blood meals for a period of 16-20 days before ovary matures and egg laying starts.
- Create great restlessness for animal and human beings.
- It causes production losses.
- These flies are important vectors of Trypanosomiasis (human & animals).
Treatment & Control
- Use insecticides;
- Organo Chlorine…… DDT, hexachlorocyclohexane/ benzene hexachloride
- Organic phosphate…. Trichlorofen, neguvan, cumafex, neocidal, diazinon and asuntal
- Synthetic pyrethroid...Cypermethrine and Ecoflee
- Destroy the bushes.
- Killing of the game animals which act as reservoir of infection because these animals provide blood to flies is necessary.
- Trap the flies with black cloth and kill them. It is the best method.